Koenig|Dunne Divorce Law is proud to have served the LGBTQ community for many years. We have partnered with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), the Nebraska ACLU, and Lambda Legal Defense Fund, the nation’s oldest organization working for gay and lesbian rights to protect and preserve the rights of the LGBTQ community.
In November 2014, Koenig|Dunne joined the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU of Nebraska to file a lawsuit in federal court on behalf of seven couples who sought state recognition of their marriages or who sought the freedom to marry in Nebraska. As attorneys of record in Waters v. Ricketts, Koenig|Dunne sought to overturn Nebraska’s ban on same-sex marriage as an unlawful discrimination against LGBTQ families.
Koenig|Dunne has also been a part of numerous landmark cases before the Nebraska Supreme Court and Nebraska Court of Appeals to protect the rights of LGBTQ families. These include:
- Trial counsel in Hassenstaab v. Hassenstaab, involving a mother’s right to continue custody after having a same sex relationship.
- Local counsel for over 20 national and state organizations who submitted an amicus curiae brief in the cases of Brandon v. Richardson County, a civil suit brought by the family of Teena Brandon following her murder.
- Local counsel for organizations who submitted an amicus curiae brief in In Re Luke, the first same sex couple adoption appealed to the Nebraska Supreme Court.
- Counsel for lesbian adoptive mother in Russell v. Bridgens, the Nebraska Supreme Court case in which the court unanimously reversed the lower court decision to not recognize her adoption.
- Counsel for lesbian mother in Latham v. Schwerdtfeger, a Nebraska Supreme Court case in which the court found a non-biological , non-adoptive parent may bring a custody action under the common law doctrine of in loco parentis.
- Counsel for lesbian non-biological and non-adoptive mother seeking custody in Trudell v. Peterson-Vecchio and opposing a stepparent adoption of the biological parent’s new spouse in In Re Chase J.
Our legal team is also dedicated to improving the education of others in the legal profession about LGBTQ rights.
- Angela Dunne and Susan Koenig co-authored “Regardless of Sexual Orientation,” which was published in the Creighton Law Review.
- Angela Dunne and Angela Lennon co-authored, The Changing Face of Families: In the Place of Primary Parenthood, which was published in the Nebraska Lawyer magazine.
At Koenig|Dunne, we know nothing is more important to you than your family. We understand the unique challenges that LGBTQ families face we’re proud to have a strong history of advocating and protecting the rights of LGBTQ families in Nebraska.