Skip to content

Tag: modification


Can I Modify Alimony After My Divorce?

 It is not unusual for financial circumstances to change after a divorce, and Nebraska law allows for either ex-spouse to make a request for modification of support, be it a paying spouse who can no longer afford his or her support payments or a nonpaying spouse in need of additional support. There may be a justification for modifying alimony if it can be proven that there has been a “material change in circumstances,” usually meaning there has been a substantial change in income for either party. If your decree states that your alimony order is “unmodifiable” then it cannot be
Read More

What is the Difference Between Contempt and Modification?

After a divorce has become final, problems can arise between former spouses in complying with the terms of their divorce. For example: My former spouse is not following our parenting plan. My former spouse has not transferred property as ordered in our divorce decree. My former spouse refuses to pay child support or alimony. To address these types of post-divorce issues, your attorney may recommend initiating a “contempt” action or a “modification” action, or both. The following explains the purposes and differences between these two possible actions. Contempt Actions The purpose of a contempt action is to ask a court
Read More

5 Considerations When Modifying a Parenting Plan

For divorced parents operating under the provisions of a parenting plan, a need may arise to ask a court to revisit the plan because certain provisions are either antiquated or not working. For example: Parenting time provisions no longer apply because our children are no longer in daycare. The right of first refusal has become a source of conflict between parents. One parent is not exercising his or her parenting time. If you are contemplating a modification of your parenting plan, here are five considerations to keep in mind: The Unexpected Must Have Occurred To modify a parenting plan, Nebraska
Read More

How to Modify Your Child Support Order

In Nebraska, once a child support order is entered, it remains in effect until the minor child reaches the age of majority (19 in Nebraska), dies, remarries, becomes emancipated, or until further order of the court. “Until further order of the court” means that child support orders are modifiable, that is, they can be changed. The Nebraska Child Support Guidelines sets forth rules as to when the court can modify child support. First, the parent must show to the court that there has been a material change in circumstances that affects the child support calculation. This will usually be a
Read More